Monday, February 27, 2012

Feeding your baby

Anybody who knows me, knows that I am NOT a cook. Nutrician and feeding are not my areas of expertise at all and so I would like to recommend this website, Homade Baby Food Recipes (link at end of post). It is very comprehensive and includes recipes to make your own baby food. This is not as hard as it sounds, even for working mothers. As I said, I don't cook if I can help it and I worked outside the home when my children were infants and I was able to make most of their baby food. I had a small hand grinder and just popped in some boiled veggies or fruit and ground it up. It did not take long. The site has sections of food for different ages, suggestions regarding baby equipment, Hints and ideas about when and how to introduce self feeding and recipes for baby friendly food.
What I can say is that the current recommendation is to wait until the baby is 6 months old before offering food other than breastmilk of formula. Remember that milk or formula is the primary food that most babies need until they are 12 months old so starting at 6 months is a chance to practice eating and not as essential as you would think. Babies are not physically ready to eat solids much before 6 months (their digestive systems are not able to process many foods before that) but each baby is unique and you need to read about the cues that your baby will offer to tell you he is ready to eat solids.
Baby food should be simple so the recipes are not difficult to put together. You can also freeze baby food in ice cube trays and warm it for use during the week so you can make a larger batch at one time. Parent tips are welcome on this website so there are real life comments from people with the experience. There is a special section for mother's of premature babies. There is also an interesting section on Baby Led Weaning, which is where the baby is never fed but is offered food and allowed to feed themselves. As I said this is not my area of expertise so I will let you read about all of these things in the website at the link below. But I know, if I could do it, anyone can.
http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/#ixzz1m8PYxF3m

No comments:

Post a Comment